Morton Bray Plantation





Morton Bray Plantation



3,500 +/ acres Plantation with Original Antebellum Home, Live Oaks, One of the Largest Stands of Intact Wiregrass and Longleaf Pine in the Red Hills, & Five Miles of Large Creek & River Frontage

Overview

Hunting
Morton Bray Plantation is a 3,500 +/ acre historic plantation in the Red Hills with one of the few examples of an original plantation acreage with antebellum home by famous architect John Wind intact. The plantation is diverse and naturally beautiful. It has one of the largest stands of intact wiregrass and longleaf pine in the Red Hills Region & seven miles of large creek & river frontage. The plantation has one of the most natural eco-systems of any plantation in the Red Hills. It also has record timber value, approximately $3,921,853 or $1,235 overall per acre in timber per the 2017 estimate. It is located less than 15 minutes to I-75 and only 30 minutes to Thomasville. The plantation is complete with almost all of the original 3,500 acres, famous 1850's five-column antebellum Greek Revival home, commissary and orchard, red clay roads, live oak lined entrance, magnificent untouched hardwood bottoms, and the convergence of the Withlacoochee River and both Okapilco and Piscola Creeks, all located alongside some of the finest stands of natural pine timber in the southeast.

Jon Kohler

"The live water here is unmatchable in this region. The Withlacoochee River bluffs are unique to any plantation. There are a combined five miles of flowing water."

"The Okaplico Creek drainage in Brooks County is one of the most prolific producers of large whitetails in the region. Due to restocking the genetics the bucks deer here are consistently larger than any other area of the Red Hills. When I first heard about this plantation 15 years ago, it was due to the monster bucks that were very quietly being harvested here."

— Jon Kohler

Lauren Fielding

The Morton Bray Plantation is one of the few examples of an original plantation acreage with antebellum home intact. When this property was first chosen by Judge Morton, he had his pick of SW Georgia and he wisely chose a property with very good diversity and wealth.

In 1843, James Oliver Morton and his new bride came from Savannah to unsettled Southwest Georgia. With this once in history opportunity, he had his choice of the finest land and timber in Georgia. The entrepreneur chose 4,000 acres located on what was then the Oglethorpe Trail, just a few miles southeast of present day Quitman. His choice made him wildly successful. With more natural beauty and diversity than almost anywhere else in southwest Georgia, he picked an area of fertile soils and rolling pine covered hills where Withlacoochee River, Okapilo and Pisgola creeks converge. He prospered with this plantation and became on of the founding fathers of Quitman becoming both a Judge and founder of the Bank of Quitman, which is in existence today.

In 1850, he commissioned John Wind English to design what is today one of the most outstanding examples of an original classic revival plantation home in existence. Wind was one of the best architects of the era and also designed such showplaces as Susina, Greenwood, Fair Oaks, Forest Hills and Eudora. The house is two storied with fluted, Doric columns supporting the front part of the roof which extends over a wide veranda on the first floor, and a balcony on the second floor to provide access to the rooms on the second floor. The house is L shaped with parlor, dining and sitting rooms, Master bedroom, small child's room, and a back porch with breezeway connecting the kitchen. The entrance is into a hallway which extends from the front veranda to the back porch. In this hallway is a floating spiral stairway, with banister post of spooled mahogany, leading to the second floor. This home is one of his last surviving plantation houses with original acreage and proudly listed on the National Historic Register.

Morton Bray Plantation is located in the Tallahassee/Thomasville Plantation Belt near other famous Brooks County plantations such as Talloakas, Okapilco, Brannville, River Bend, Pinion Point, Four Oaks, Kinderlou Forest, Tamathli, Pinckney Hill, Blackwater, Hickory Head & King Place. It is only 35 minutes to the Thomasville airport & only 35 minutes to the commercial airport in Valdosta & 30 min to Valdosta, the 10th largest city in Georgia.

The plantation has record timber value, with one of the most intensively stocked, privately owned stands of natural timber in the southeast. Per the 2017 timber estimate, there is approximately $3,921,853 or $1,235 overall per acre in timber.

"The natural timber and immense amount of native ground cover really sets this plantation apart. It’s probably the perfect balance between native grasslands and old field ground. It has 1,600 acres of native ground cover and 1,100 acres of old field ground. It may also be the perfect balance between riverfront upland hardwoods and uplands with 400 acres in gorgeous upland hardwoods."

"This is one of, if not the, most diverse and naturally beautiful plantations in the Red Hills. It is not a "finished" wild quail plantation, nor is it "turn-key." It's a fresh canvas with some of the oldest history and best credentials of any plantation in the Southeast. Very easily and inexpensively brought into the forefront of quail management. It certainly has a surplus of timber to draw from."

“This is exactly the kind of place that gets us excited. The opportunity for someone to personalize this property and easily craft this plantation into one of the most game rich, diverse and beautiful properties of all the Red Hills gets our full attention.”

— Jon Kohler

   

NOW AVAILABLE
$3,800 PER ACRE


— OVERVIEW —
of Morton Bray Plantation

  • 3,500 +/- total acres Historic Plantation
  • Famous 1850’s Five-Column antebellum Greek Revival home and grounds designed by John Wind English
  • $3,921,853, approximately $1,235 overall per acre, in timber per the 2017 timber estimate
  • One of the largest stands of intact wiregrass & longleaf pin in the Red Hills Region
  • 1 +/- mile on Withlacoochee River
  • 3 +/- miles on Okapilco Creek
  • 1 +/- mile on Piscola Creek
  • 1,600 +/- acres of native groundcover and mature natural pine
  • 1,100 +/- acres of old field ground and merchantable pine
  • 400 +/- acres of exceptionally pristine hardwood bottoms
  • Established in 1843 by Judge James Morton; he prospered there for 68 years then the R.N. Bray Company managed it for 84 years!
  • In the Tallahassee/Thomasville Plantation Belt near other famous Brooks County plantations such as Talloakas, Okapilco, Brannville, River Bend, Pinion Point, Four Oaks, Kinderlou Forest, Tamathli, Pinckney Hill, Blackwater, Hickory Head & King Place.
  • 350 +/- acres of agricultural fields and food plots
  • Record timber value, with one of the most intensively stocked, privately owned stands of natural timber in the southeast
  • Frontage on US HWY 84 & Madison-Quitman Highway
  • Access to amenities, infrastructure, zoning, comparables, river frontage and historical assets gives it enormous higher and better use potential.
  • There is currently no conservation easement in place. This could prove to be one of the most significant conservation easement donations in Red Hills history.
  • Only 30 min to Valdosta & 35 min to commercial airport in Valdosta, the 10th largest city in GA & Only 35 min to the Thomasville Airport
  • One of the most diverse eco-systems on any plantation in the Red Hills

3,500 +/- Acres
Now Available
$3,800 PER ACRE

 

CONTACT

Jon Kohler

Mobile: 850-508-2999
jon@jonkohler.com